Ten years ago this month, I found out I was pregnant with my first child. February 2005. I set out to prove that vaccines were safe and effective, so that I could tell my mom why I WAS going to vaccinate. You see, me & my 3 sisters were not vaccinated (trail blazer mom back in the 70’s). And yes – we were the healthiest people we knew, and not one of us growing up had ever stepped foot into a doctors office for a sickness or illness or a “vaccine preventable disease”. There was no need for prescriptions or antibiotics, and no, I have not one memory of being sick as a child. But still….just because my mom did not vaccinate me didn’t mean I was going to blindly follow in her footsteps. I needed to know WHY, so I set out to prove her wrong. That was ten years and five kids ago. Wow! What has taken place over the last ten years is not anything I could have ever imagined myself doing. If someone had told me back in college that one day I would research vaccines and write a public blog on them, I would have laughed. Or knowing what I know now, I probably would have cried.
So here we go…a walk down memory lane of sorts. I’m going to share the Top 10 Things I’ve Taken Away from 10 Years of Vaccine Research! Plus a few other Top 10’s!
1. Vaccines are a philosophy. The best book I’ve ever read on this topic is “What About Immunizations? Exposing the Vaccine Philosophy”, written by Cynthia Cournoyer. In her book she explains The Vaccine Philosophy quite simply through a definition from the World Book Encyclopedia: “Philosophy and science differ in many respects. For example, science has attained definite and tested knowledge of many matters and has thus resolved disagreement about those matters. Philosophy has not. As a result, controversy has always been characteristic of philosophy”. Cynthia explains this very well: “Whether a person’s beliefs support vaccination or not, the decision is based on a series of beliefs dwelling more in the world of controversy and philosophy, than in pure science”. Looking back on the past ten years of research, I can honestly say that the vaccine debate is based on a belief system and little to none based on medicine, science, or history. In fact, history has pretty much re-written itself when it comes to the truth about vaccines and the eradication of diseases. The belief system that “vaccines saved the world” is so deeply engrained into the minds of people, that it is almost impossible to change. Even though science and medicine and history have proven these beliefs wrong.
2. Writing a blog about Vaccines is a roller coaster ride. I have had some of my highest highs and lowest lows on this 10 year journey.
Highest highs = The love. Moms from all over the world thanking me for the (original) blog. Thanking me for the research, the resources, the references, the science, for learning how to follow their instinct and take control of their children’s health. The recovery stories. The letters of encouragement to keep fighting the fight. Falling in love with the autism community. All of the friendships I’ve made all over the world. Meeting those virtual friends face to face. The platform the blogging world has given me for other areas of my life. Knowing that I’ve stayed true to what I know I’ve been called to do.
Lowest lows = The hate. The public Facebook group was created that publicly bashed me. These were childhood friends. These were friends that stood in my wedding and I stood in theirs. That was a very hard, heartbreaking, and lonely time for me. But it also prepared me for the hate mail and death threats that I would soon encounter whenever a blog post went viral (hate from people you’ve never met is much easier than hate from personal relationships). I remember the day I had to remove my children’s names from our blog, the hate mail was so intense. Entire websites and blogs created just to discredit and bash me, my family, and my blog. Not fun. Blog Bullies and Hate Messages was an actual post I wrote addressing how much a part of my life this is. Yikes! Also the heartbreak from choosing to walk a walk with an overwhelming community of people who are dealing with an entire generation of vaccine injured children. Some days it’s just too much. Please Lord, no more children injured from vaccines. My heart can’t take it some days. And then eventually watching our first blog get shut down through a choice that wasn’t really a choice at all.
I believe Romans 8:28 that says, “The Lord works ALL things for the good of those who love him and are called according to His purpose”. When my daughter was kicked out of pre-school for not eating a cupcake (really because we were already judged as being a non-vaccinating family), I wrote a blog called “Eat the Cupcake or Go Home”. I wrote that blog with a broken heart. It was my very first blog post to go viral. That post gave me a platform. And although this platform has taken me on the wildest roller coaster ride of my life, it’s been a great ride where I have watched the Lord work ALL things for His good. And through the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, I wouldn’t change anything. Even if it means saying goodbye to my original blog that started it all, and starting this new blog.
And you know what? The Lord is Faithful. He called me to this journey. The passion to research vaccines and write about them is still burning deep inside me, just as it was ten years ago. Because God is faithful to the call He puts on our lives. Sometimes redirection is necessary. This new blog is a new direction.
I. will. never. stop. fighting. for. truth. Through the highest of highs and lowest of lows. I will never stop.
3. Journalism is dead. Through the years I have watched this play out with HUGE stories NEVER seeing the light of day. From Dr. Wakefield’s partner Professor John Walker Smith being exonerated, Simpsonwood, Hannah Poling, the autism epidemic, the very damning Congressional Hearings, and recently the CDC whistleblower, to watching the media spit out the same fear mongering, scare tactic, propaganda, lies. Knowing damn well that the media is owned by the pharmaceutical industry (hello every other commercial for pharmaceuticals) and the media has become nothing but a sad joke of dead journalism. Pharma pays and networks cannot bite the hand that feeds. #cdcwhistleblower
4. Vaccines are not mandatory for school. Why oh why is this still not common knowledge? The greatest myth of all myths within the vaccination world (besides the myth of herd immunity) is making vaccines seem like they are mandatory for a child to receive an education. As if. But how crafty. First we are going to create “well-baby” visits, where you are “required” to bring your “well” baby to a sick place at 2 months, 4, 6, 12, 15, 18 months… for what? To tell a parent how much their baby weighs? No, the joke’s on us. Why aren’t they called “shot visits”. And when the 2 month shots give the baby chronic constipation and reflux, then at the 4 month visit, the baby can get more shots and a prescription to help with the 2 month shot side effects. These “well-baby” visits (part of our healthcare system) have nothing to do with health, nothing on breastfeeding, proper nutrition, etc… Just scheduled visits, so that these babies have now conveniently grown up to meet the “requirements” they need to go to school.
I’ve written oh-so-many posts on this topic, the latest being Shots Are NOT Mandatory for School. Please parents…know at least this…your child CAN go to school regardless of whether they have received all 49 doses of 14 vaccines before your child reaches the age of six (which is roughly 12 times higher than the number of vaccines administered to children back in 1940). Your child can also go to school whether they have received NO shots, or even if they have received a modified/delayed schedule (still not compliant with the “CDC recommended schedule”), your child CAN go to school. The word “mandated” does not mean mandatory. See there is this thing called exemption. Know your rights. Know your state’s exemption laws. Find them HERE. The fact that vaccines have to be mandated is a sign of their failure. Because if they were truly safe and effective – guess what? We’d alllllllll be lined up. No need to mandate. I’d be the first person lined up with my children. Who doesn’t want to keep their children safe and healthy from “vaccine preventable diseases?”
5. The Thinking Moms Revolution is the bravest and most honorable group of women I know. There are a lot of people in the world doing really great things. Missionaries top the list for me. Whenever I hear of people going out in the world to proclaim the gospel, look after orphans, help the poor, those are world changing people. And the great thing is…most people agree. So their good works and good deeds are admired and respected by pretty much the majority. Autism moms on the other hand, particularly The Thinking Moms Revolution, well these mommas are fighting one of the greatest fights. It’s called truth. First, their children are vaccine injured, so they are fighting to rescue their own child. Secondly, they know EXACTLY what happened to their OWN child. And the world wants to deny it. Not only deny it, but belittle, and condemn, and discredit these mommas. I can’t think of anything worse than knowing that I know, that I know, that I know, that I KNOW what happened to my OWN child, and the world tells you: “You are wrong. You are lying. You are desperate looking for answers. It’s not real. It’s not true.” Thirdly, they SPEAK OUT. They are not only in the trenches rescuing their child, but they are choosing to speak out and fight for truth. It especially infuriates me when I see other mothers trying to condemn these mothers. Since when are we so brainwashed as a people, that we can’t even see truth for what it is? Since when did mothers turn on each other all for the sake of a belief system in a medical intervention? Really? What are you fighting for or against by denying a mother the truth about what happened to her child? What do these mothers have to gain by sharing truth about what happened to their child? NOTHING. YES, Vaccines CAN & DO cause harm and injury. #cdcwhistleblower. Wake-up people! And rock on Thinking Moms Revolution. You guys have my heart!
6. The Lioness Arising Mothers Series is a piece of me. I started the Lioness Arising Mothers Series a little over 3 years ago. And while I’ve only written on nine moms, this series is so much bigger than those nine stories. For every emotional story I’ve told, I’ve had thousands write to me that the story shared was also their own story. These nine stories represent thousands and thousands and thousands of the SAME story. The SAME story. When will things change? These nine stories have led me into the homes of people all over the world who share this same truth. When will we wake up? Time to nurture our Lioness Instinct! And thank-you Lisa Bevere for featuring this series and for your friendship. Every momma in this world with a vaccine injured child thanks you.
7. Enough already trying to discredit Jenny McCarthy & Dr. Wakefield. I love what Jenny McCarthy wrote in the foreword to Dr. Wakefields book “Callous Disregard Autism & Vaccines: The Truth Behind the Tragedy”, and I love what Dr. Wakefield said in the foreword of his book as well. (and yes, I am PURPOSEFULLY quoting Jenny McCarthy and promoting Dr. Wakefields book…Jenny McCarthy is a true warrior mom that recovered her child from vaccine injury, aka autism, and Dr. Wakefield is the greatest truth seeking doctor this generation will ever know). And I am purposefully choosing to highlight these two people (honestly there are hundreds of reputable doctors and people that I could quote), but I have not seen any two people more scrutinized than Jenny McCarthy & Dr. Wakefield when it comes to this “debate”, and they have stayed true to truth without ever wavering. So what, Jenny McCarthy posed nude for playboy…she is still a mom. And mothers know their children. All mothers. Because guess what? That’s how God created the human race. He gave mothers an instinct, and it’s the greatest gift we have been given to protect our children. More on that next.
by Jenny McCarthy
I’m so glad Andy Wakefield finally has the chance to tell his story. Perhaps no debate on the planet right now is more confusing, more conflicting, or more maddening for parents than the debate over the causes and treatments of autism.
As the parent of a child who regressed into autism after his vaccinations, I have always considered Andy Wakefield to represent the kind of doctor and scientist who will ultimately help us end the epidemic of children with autism.
If you understand Andy’s story completely, I think you will quickly realize that he did the sort of thing most of us expect out of our doctors and something most of us were taught by the time we were in kindergarten: he listened closely to the stories of parents and he told the truth. I really wish the primary trigger for autism was something everyone could dislike like cigarettes or rat poison. It would make ending this epidemic so much easier. Unfortunately, it appears that a product intended for good— vaccines—also has a dark side, which is the ability to do harm in certain children. This ability to do harm has unfortunately increased quite a bit in the last few decades because children today receive so many more shots than when most parents were kids.
I understand that a portion of the population will continue to believe that all of us parents are crazy and that vaccines couldn’t possibly do any harm. I really wish some of these people could have sat with me through the thousands of conversations I have had with parents of children with autism who have all told me the same story: their child was developing normally, and after each vaccine appointment things got worse until they ended up with autism. You hear this story once, it’s disturbing, a dozen times it starts to feel like a pattern, a thousand times and you begin to wonder why this is still a debate.
Andy Wakefield did the same thing. He listened to parents who reported two things: their children with autism were suffering from severe bowel pain, and the children regressed into autism after vaccination. He listened, he studied, and he published what he learned.
I believe history will be very kind to Andy Wakefield. For the moment, he is the symbol of a very unfortunate reality, a reality that a medical system trying to do good may have done just the opposite. With time, I believe he will also be the symbol of someone who stood up for truth, despite extreme pressure to stand down.
For hundreds of thousands of parents around the world, myself included, Andy Wakefield is a symbol of strength and conviction that all parents of children with autism can use to fight for truth and the best lives possible for their kids.
by Dr. Andrew Wakefield
“To the parents I would say, trust your instinct above all else. When considering how to vaccinate your children, read, get educated, and demand fully informed consent and answers to your questions. When you are stonewalled or these answers are not to your satisfaction, trust your instinct. I say this as someone who has studied and engaged in the science and who has become aware of the limitations of our knowledge and understanding of vaccine safety issues. Maternal instinct, in contrast, has been a steady hand upon the tiller of evolution; we would not be here without it”
8. Maternal Instinct is the great gift we have. It’s God gift to mothers. I can’t tell you how many times I have witnessed my own instinct in action and how incredibly thankful I am for this gift. Every single day for the past 10 years I have watched maternal instinct get stripped from mothers. One. well. baby. visit. at. a. time.
My particular story has nothing to do with vaccines (because back when I took my babies to well baby visits, I didn’t even allow the vaccine conversation to exist. My children don’t receive shots. The End. ), but my example is still a powerful example of maternal instinct. When my 2nd oldest was 3 months old (this was almost 8 years ago), she fell asleep in the car in her carseat. I pulled into my driveway and was just running into the house for a minute and then right back into the van to leave again. It was actually Mother’s Day. My parents were having a party at their house, but I ran home to pick up my husband and our 15 month old who was home napping. It was a hot May day in South Louisiana (temps in the 90’s), I left both automatic van doors open. I went inside. My husband saw that I “accidentally” left the van doors open, so from the front porch, with the car keys in his hand, he clicked the button to shut the van doors (he thought the baby was at my parents and didn’t know she was in the car sleeping). About 2 minutes after I got home, as I was changing our 15 month olds diaper to get ready to leave, this overwhelming feeling came over me that something was terribly, terribly wrong with the baby. It was such an overwhelming feeling, that I said to my sister almost in a panic “hurry go check the baby in the car”. She said “she’s fine, we just got here, she is sleeping”. I replied boldly: “JUST CHECK”. She found the baby in the van with the doors closed, the temperature inside the van blistering hot, the baby’s cheeks bright red, lethargic, sweat pouring, and minutes (if not seconds from something tragic happening).
I always think back to that day when that overwhelming feeling came over me and what if I had talked myself out of that instinctual feeling that knew something was horribly wrong. My instinct was telling me that something very bad was about to happen. Or what if I had let my well meaning sister who loves my children like her own talk me out of my instinct by telling me “everything is fine”. Guess what? NO ONE. Even well meaning doctors and family members who love your kids like their own, NO ONE has maternal instinct like a mother. DON’T IGNORE IT!
Every day, instinct is being stripped from mothers. I hear the stories. I get the emails. I get the desperate letters filled with shame and guilt and the “what-ifs”. If I could only give mothers one piece of advice, it would be: FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCT. Sometimes instinct comes in a still small voice, other times it’s an overwhelming feeling…but as mothers we know. We know. Follow your instinct. If something is telling you vaccines aren’t safe, follow your instinct. If something is telling you your child reacted oddly after the first round of shots, follow your instinct. No one else knows your child better than you. And at the end of the day, the only person who will answer for your child is you. That’s why I started Project Instinct, read here.
9. Herd Immunity is a myth. It’s the myth that continues to drive the reasoning behind why some people think vaccines should not be a choice, but are instead a public health requirement. “Protecting the greater good”. As if. It sounds so good though. As long as the myth of herd immunity is alive, we can continue to lead people through fear and scare tactics and pressure. And we can continue to blame every outbreak on that teeny tiny small percent of unvaccinated children (don’t worry about the adult population that hasn’t been vaccinated in years). Does herd immunity only apply to children at the age in which “well baby visits” are scheduled and getting an education “requires” shots? How convenient. You can read more here about the Myth of Herd Immunity. (This is one of my most “loved”/hated posts ever).
10. The vaccine topic should not be a debate. Vaccines are a choice. Those who choose not to vaccinate are not “anti-vaccine”.The term “anti-vax” means nothing. And there is no such thing as an “anti-vaccine movement”. Unless of course you are referring to the autism epidemic and well that’s not going anywhere (it’s only growing in numbers). Oh and by the way, those kids ARE vaccinated. Giving those who don’t vaccinate a label we don’t even give ourselves is quite silly. I am an educated parent who has decided not to take part in a medical intervention that has never been proven safe or effective. End of story. Oh hey, did you know that the CDC did a study on parents who don’t vaccinate? They event published it in the Journal of Pediatrics. Here’s what they found: children who hadn’t received any shots at all tended to come from educated families with high incomes. The study ended saying: ”It’s an excellent example of how more education and awareness translates to better health. Parents are gradually waking up to the dangers of vaccines. Those who have a university education and a well paid job, are in a better position to research vaccinations and know their rights. Education is power and they and those most invested in health and research are most likely to avoid vaccinations at all costs, a trend that is welcome and timely for future generations”. -Dr. Mihalovicis a Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in vaccine research
The only difference in my mom who didn’t vaccinate almost 40 years ago and myself not vaccinating today….is NOT that suddenly an “anti-vaccine movement” began. It’s that along the way….in the last 40 years….there’s this thing called vaccine-injury. Hello National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act. Congress passed the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act (that title alone points to fact that vaccines can injure children) in 1986. This released all manufacturers and administers of vaccines from ALL liability from any injury caused by a vaccine. Ever heard of VAERS? Our governments database on vaccine injury claims. Our government has awarded over $2 BILLION dollars to vaccine injured children, paid out in vaccine court. Did you know there was vaccine court? Only 1% of actually cases even make it there. Did you know there was a Vaccine Injury Compensation Program?
Vaccine injury looks like many different things. From chronic sickness, chronic ear infections, gut issues, colic, reflux, eczema, allergies, asthma, developmental delays, speech delays, behavioral disorders, to encephalitis, seizures, and death. And this major epidemic called Autism. A disorder that went from non-existent to 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 150, to now 1 in 68. And no it’s not from “better diagnosis”. Because my friends, there is also this thing called the CDC vaccine schedule that has grown from 10 vaccines in 1983 (when autism was 1 in 10,000) to 49 doses (where autism is now 1 in 68). Guess what, pharma? You created the “anti-vaccine movement”. They are called vaccine-injured children. And they are only growing in numbers.
Did you know the current vaccine schedule has NEVER been tested? Not for safety or efficacy? Did you know that the combined doses of vaccines we give infants has NEVER once been tested for safety either? Yikes! That’s a lot of untested vaccines we are giving this generation of children. In fact, according to a Harvard study, we are the most highly vaccinated population in history, yet we are sicker than ever before. Is This The Best We Can Offer?
As for the parents of vaccine injured children who are speaking out about what happened to their children, well if anyone deserved to be called “anti-vaccine”, I guess they would. But guess what? They used to be “pro-vaccine”. That’s why they are in the situation they are in. The only reason they speak out is to help others not live through the living nightmare hell they live every day of their lives.
If we continue to try to debate this topic, we will never get anywhere. Either “side” of the philosophy/belief system can find what they are looking for. For me, I remember the day the lightbulb of truth went off. Ten years ago I sat in the waiting room for a chiropractor visit. My husband & I had been in a car accident and I was in excruciating back pain (pregnant with our first baby). Ready to begin my vaccine research, right there in front of me while I sat in the waiting room of this chiropractor, the book “Are Vaccines Safe & Effective” was staring at me as if someone placed it there specifically for me. I picked it up. I was not 2 chapters in before my name was called to see the chiro and I already knew my children would never receive a single vaccine. Ever. Thank-you momma, I’m sorry I doubted you, you were so wise! I asked to please take the book home to finish reading it. And that was the day it all began…
Why didn’t I just make my decision and stop there? Why did I continue researching? Why have I read more books and published studies than I knew was possible? And why-oh-why-oh-why-oh-why did I start publicly writing on this topic? Well….I still ask myself this…even though I know why. The Lord called me to this journey. I’ve shared many times, specifically in this post Why Do I Care So Much? Please read that post as it explains my heart and soul to why I write and why I care so much.
Top 10 Most Loved/Hated, viral posts:
1. Thanks, Pharma. You created the “anti-vaccine movement”
2. Measles Shmeales, AND Why All The Measles Outbreaks?
3. Measles Shmeasles Goes To Disneyland (My final post on the first blog)
4. LA Times and the Whooping Cough story
5. The Whooping Cough has me at a Loss for Words
6. The Myth of Herd Immunity
7. The Truth About Tetanus
8. Dear Parents, you are being lied to (guest blog)
9. Lioness Arising Series
10. Is This The Best We Can Offer?
Through the years, people have asked me If I’ve ever read research that could make me “question” my decision? Yes and no. I think more importantly, I’ve learned how to find truth and I’m not afraid to look for it. I also know how easy it is for people to find the answer they are looking for. If you WANT to believe in vaccines, all you have to do is turn on the tv, open a parenting magazine, visit the CDC website, or take your baby to a “well baby visit” to find the answer you are looking for. Finding truth takes a willingness to be openminded enough to consider that maybe not everything we are told is true. Finding truth takes dedication and diligence. Not everyone wants to do that. Because then you might just have to accept that a decision you made was maybe not based on what you thought or believed to be real or true. And it’s much easier to just throw a derogatory label on people like me and say…”oh you know, she’s one of those crazy conspiracy theory hippie “anti-vaxers”. Vaccines saved the world, who wouldn’t vaccinate their child?”
I wrote a post called “I Hope You’ve Done Your Research” (featured on the Chalkboard Campaign. Huge honor.), but that is truly my hope for others. Please do the proper research. The time you put in to researching cribs and carseats and planning your nursery, put that same time and more into what you will be injecting into your baby starting when they are just a few hours old and for the first year of their life. And if me sharing this information makes me “anti-vaccine”, then so be it. Educated, informed, thinking moms call it called something else. We call it…..informed consent. A choice. Imagine that? Being truly informed so that you can make an educated decision. Why aren’t we called “Pro-Think-for-Yourself?” Think about it. We have chosen to believe in a mindset that goes AGAINST what we are told to believe in. Last time I checked, that’s the not the easiest or most popular road to take. Going against the status quo involves a conscious decision. A decision that goes against what is considered “acceptable” and “right” and involves a mindset that is aware, well researched, and confident. Every mother wants to protect her child. Even the educated mother who chooses not to vaccinate. Yep, that decision was made to protect her child. Thank God for choice.
This is why the topic will continue to be a debate. Because vaccines aren’t about choice. They are a bullying, scare tactic, propaganda, fear driven mandate, given with NO informed consent. Ever read a vaccine package insert?
Top 10 Vaccine Resources (a simple list to get you started on research):
1. Package Inserts. Who knew? Who knew a product that has been declared “unavoidably unsafe” would also come with package inserts that state that “adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS, anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence and apnea. Events were included in this list because of the seriousness or frequency of reporting”
2. International Medical Council on Vaccination: The International Medical Council on Vaccination is an association of medical doctors, registered nurses and other qualified medical professionals whose purpose is to counter the messages asserted by pharmaceutical companies, the government and medical agencies that vaccines are safe, effective and harmless. Their conclusions have been reached individually by each member of the Council, after thousands of hours of personal research, study and observation.
3. Dr. Tenpenny on vaccines. She is one of the most outspoken physicians on vaccines. Her resources are endless. One of my favorites is her truth about the flu shot article.
4. Vaccine Epidemic is a must read book, featuring more than twenty-five experts from the fields of ethics, law, science, medicine, business, and history. Vaccine Epidemic urgently calls for reform. It is the essential handbook for the vaccination choice movement and required reading for all people contemplating vaccination for themselves and their children.
5. Vaccine Illusion. Written by a Harvard PhD immunologist. I love her forword: “I never imagined myself in this position, least so in the very beginning of my Ph.D. research training in immunology. In fact, at that time, I was very enthusiastic about the concept of vaccination, just like any typical immunologist. However, after years of doing research in immunology, observing scientific activities of my superiors, and analyzing vaccine issues, I realized that vaccination is one of the most deceptive inventions the science could ever convince the world to accept”
6. National Vaccine Information Center. Excellent resource.
7. 200 Peer-reviewed Biomedical evidence on vaccine safety and effectiveness. Sourced from the US National Library of Medicine
8. Dr. Palevsky, board certified pediatrician. Excellent interview here. This is one of my favorite interviews with him. Very eye opening.
9. The book Vaccine Safety Manual for Concerned Families and Health Practitioners, contains over 2,000 published studies. The amazing foreword written by world renown brain surgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock.
10. The Thinking Moms Revolution Book. Should be a pre-requisite read before having a baby. Go buy it. Now.